The first day of April is designated as a day for pranksters and practical jokers. Nothing is more fun than pulling a harmless trick on a parent -- or a child -- that makes everyone laugh.
It's a day to be silly. Enjoy it!
Here are 15 new ideas and tried-and-true pranks to get you going. Some require a little pre-planning, others are more spontaneous.
For kids to play on parents or brothers and sisters:
- Dig out the cobweb material from Halloween and "cobweb" Mom or Dad's shower.
- Add blue or red food coloring to the milk, or pour chocolate syrup in the milk carton and shake it up.
- Make ice cubes from water flavored with almond, peppermint, or orange extract. The ice will be colorless but "tasty!"
- Switch the sugar and salt. Put salt in the sugar bowl and sugar in the salt shaker.
- Wind rubber bands around the spray hose trigger on the kitchen sink and direct it outward. When Mom or Big Sis turns on the faucet, she will get a spray of water.
- Leave Mom or Dad a phone message with the number of the local dump. Tell them "Mr. Trasher" called.
- Hard boil the eggs in the egg carton. When Mom or Dad tries to make breakfast, observe their dismay.
- Short sheet Mom and Dad's bed. It's an old trick, but one that always gets them going!
- Scatter plastic spiders or insects over Mom's pillow, or put a fake "dead mouse" in her shoe.
For parents to play on kids:
- In the middle of the night, carry sleeping kids into each other's rooms so that they wake up in the wrong beds.
- Using loose stitches, sew together your kids' socks or underwear.
- Wake the kids up an hour early. Reset the clocks but don't tell them until they're up and dressed. With the extra time, plan a family breakfast (check out the eggs before you make scrambled eggs! See number 7 above.)
- Scrape the white icing from sandwich cookies and replace it with sour cream. Serve some of these "treats" as snacks.
- Insert gummy worms in sandwiches. Let a slimy looking tail or head protrude from the side of the bread.
- Glue quarters and dimes on the walkway the kids use when leaving the house in the morning. Watch them try to pick up the "found money."
Dream up your own April Fools jokes. It's fun to plan an ambush for Dad, or a goofy trick to play on the kids. Laugh a lot -- don't let the day go by without at least one good prank!